the moving diaries, chapter four: day breaks–and hecka early, too

I woke up.

It doesn’t seem like an auspicious beginning, but I woke up earlier than I thought so I had time to go run to get a bagel before my awesome friend Beth came to take me to pick up the U-haul. In my mind was a constant list, running and re-running through my head as if repeating it like some strange encantation would somehow ensure that all would be well.

Asiago cheese bagels make everything better.

I picked up the U-haul, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could drive it with little difficulty. I was petrified, standing in the long line of people waiting to pick up their own trucks from the stuffed parking lot. If I didn’t know better, I would say that it looked like a little boy had lined up all of his toy trucks in descending size order just to prove how many he had. But no…it was moving weekend in Gainesville. Every college town has them–and it wasn’t even the weekend that all the students will descend upon campus. Just the weekend that all of the leases begin and/or end.

We got back and people started showing up to help load–more people than I expected. My friend Brandon came from Jacksonville–seriously an hour and a half away–just to help me move. Then came a few more friends and my home teacher and soon we had like six guys. It was lovely, because all I really had to do was stand there and direct.

Although, I will admit having been through many moves and having inherited my genetic predisposition towards packing things tightly (it’s like playing Tetris), I was being a bit of a backseat packer/mover. I stifled it pretty quickly, but…it happened. I feel a little badly for that.

But we got loaded so quickly. And while it sprinkled a little bit…it didn’t rain. This was indeed an amazing thing, since it had torrentially poured for most of the day before. I kept yelling at the heavens, which looked a little intermittently gray, “NO RAIN!” Futile, perhaps, but it made me feel better.

Planning the unloading really makes me appreciate any kind of large-scale assault or invasion. It’s truly impossible, without some degree of genius or spiritual gift, to coordinate any more than two people at any given time without something screwing up. My roommates and I managed to get to the apartment office on time–they went early and basically had everything done before I got there, but we got our keys and began to unload.

At first, it was only three or four guys who were there, plus my roommates’ families. And when I started hauling things up those stairs, I realized that I was a lot tireder than I thought. And I was hungry–that bagel didn’t last long in the loading, cleaning, driving, stressing mayhem that was my morning. And it was hot.

Did I mention that it was HOT? Heat index of like 105. Super.

I just kept hoping that the missionaries would show up soon. They were coming over but in the half hour between when we got there and when they were supposed to come, everyone had basically unloaded all of one trailer and one (not very full) truck. My truck was next…and I was feeling some pressure to go unload.

And I just wasn’t sure I could do it.

But they showed up, just in the nick of time (i.e. just before I truly lost the will to live), and between all of those guys, they had my truck unloaded in like 20 minutes. It was AMAZING. All I really had to do was direct and/or carry light things. I loved it. It was fabulous.

Best thing? Not 10 minutes after we finished, while we were all waiting for the pizza to get there, the heavens opened and it began to pour. Not while we were unloading, not during any crucial moment. AFTER we were done.

Because Heavenly Father ROCKS and prayers are answered. I am so grateful for the Priesthood and their willingness to help people out. I am so grateful for the cheerfulness with which they help. They didn’t have to come–but they did anyways and for that I am so grateful.

I don’t usually ask for help, but when I do I really need it. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who recognizes that and always comes through for me in the pinch.

We’re all moved in now. Still unpacking, of course, and deciding what to do with all of our stuff, but we’re there.

It’s good to be home.

One Response to “the moving diaries, chapter four: day breaks–and hecka early, too”

  1. After our last move, I seriously wondered how in the world people w/out an Elders quorum to call on actually DO it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: